Release date: June 14, 2022
Today, we’re speaking with Craig Cartwright, lead project manager at Darvis. In this episode of the Telaid Tech Connect Podcast, we explore AI, computer vision, and machine learning and how these technologies work together to solve critical business problems. Craig also discusses the industries using AI and some of the critical business applications.
IN THIS EPISODE:
- [03:38] What is the definition of AI? What is computer vision and what is machine learning?
- [09:00] Which industries are ripe for AI applications and what are some of the use cases?
- [17:40] How does computer vision support visibility and better management of the supply chain?
- [19:00] In what ways does AI support loss prevention and security?
- [21:00] How do business and personal begin to blend in the world of AI, virtual reality, the metaverse and augmented reality?
- [24:00] What will these technologies look like in five years?
- AI is the simulation of human intelligence by machines. Whereas traditionally computer algorithms focused on one process at a time, there is now a focus on building computer intelligence that can consider multiple factors simultaneously.
- Machine learning is a branch of AI that focuses on using data and algorithms to mimic the way humans learn. It attempts to simulate human behavior and learning for artificial intelligence. Deep learning is a subset of machine learning and artificial intelligence that seeks to mimic the functioning of the human brain based on artificial neural networks.
- Computer vision is an interdisciplinary scientific field that deals with how computers can gain that high-level understanding from digital images or videos. It seeks to understand and automate tasks like the human visual system can, either through machine learning, deep learning or other artificial intelligence techniques.
- We have seen how computer vision technologies bring efficiency to processes in healthcare, logistics, and retail. Tracking is vital for them and, through AI and particularly computer vision, they can track information with greater efficiency and accuracy.
Craig Cartwright is a creative with a passion for technology. Craig is always thinking of the next innovation to hit the market and how Darvis can ensure they’re ahead of the curve. He believes artificial intelligence is necessary to automate processes that have historically been a major cause of inefficiency within organizations. AI is capable of revolutionizing the way we live, work, and play, so it’s important to maintain a sense of wonder and curiosity to discover the next big innovation.
Craig spends most of his free time reading, writing, acting, traveling, and enjoying cigars. He’s currently training for a triathlon and attempts to run 30 miles a week. He loves to be on stage, and he thinks the creative spirit and mindset are quintessential for start-up success!